Description of the Watch
The Garmin Forerunner 45 has a basic watch-like design, but just because it is simple, does not mean that it is unpleasant looking. It features a 208 x 208 pixel color display with a smaller case than other sports watches, making it work better for people with slimmer wrists.
The watch uses 5 buttons for input, including Garmin’s usual start/stop, up, down, and back options. It is lightweight and utilizes a silicone strap. This model is mainly meant for runners, so many of the features are designed well for running.
During our research into this sports watch, we were able to determine some important things. Overall, we found that this watch’s most useful feature was the Body Battery. It shows you a combination of statistics to determine how much energy you have during a day. These stats include your sleep and activity levels, plus your heart rate.
On top of that, the Garmin 45 also offers stress tracking, which is useful in managing your mental health. However, there was no swim tracking, it recorded a limited amount of sports, and the watch was mostly plastic.
Still, this is a great option for runners. The watch focuses on recording run statistics and does a great job of it. It seems to be accurate and costs less than other sports watches, making it a good value to buy.
Reasons to Buy
- Good value: This watch does everything that you need it to do- at a lower cost than other sports watches. If you are looking for an affordable option, you can consider this to be one of the best.
- Lightweight: The watch is light and unintrusive while you run. It does not feel heavy on your wrist and it is easy to forget that it is even there.
- Plays music: The watch includes music controls that you can use to entertain yourself while you train. Many people find this useful on long runs.
- Geared towards runners: This Garmin model focuses on running statistics. If you want to record your pace, time, heart rate, and calories burned- then this is a great option for you. It works just as well on the treadmill as it does outdoors.
Reasons NOT to Buy
- No swim function: While the watch is waterproof, it includes no features to record your swims. If you are a triathlete, this Garmin watch is not for you. It can be taken into the water, up to 50 meters, but will not track any of your progress. Its waterproofing will still keep it safe if you sweat a lot while training or are caught in the rain while on a run.
- Mainly plastic design: The watch itself is mainly made from plastic, which you do not find in other high-end sports watches. However, this helps to make it more affordable and keeps it light for runners.
- Limited sports tracking: It can record some other activities, but they are mainly based on walking, running, or cardio. If you want your watch to record more than that, this is not it.
If you mostly focus on running, then this would be an amazing and affordable option for you. The Garmin 45 will alert you if you have been sedentary for too long and will accurately record your activities, helping to keep you active during the day. This is great for keeping you motivated to get up and run.
The Garmin 45 does not have the features necessary to make it useful for triathletes, but any runner will find the features and stats it records extremely useful.
- Touch screen: No
- Display size: 1.04 inches
- Display resolution: 208 x 208 pixels
- Waterproof: Yes
- Input: 5 buttons
- Strap material: Silicone